11/28/09

Crazy woman martha stewart here!

Who Who WHo in their right mind decides to host 13 people for Thanksgiving Dinner and dessert when they have no prior experience? Yours truly of course! Yes, somehow I have always had it in my head that I would love to have a tv style holiday table full of eclectic people that don't know each other and have gathered around my table for a good meal, and good conversation. Well, that is exactly what I got. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving, and I gained a whole new respect for any woman that has ever hosted a holiday. HOLY SMOKES it is a lot of work. Thank God my husband cleaned the house, or we would have been peeing in moldy toilets after eating our turkey. (joking!. heh. sort of). Anyways, I wrestled the 20 lb turkey into the sink (thats roughly 1/5 of my weight. Oh OK 1/6 , but whose counting pounds?) I bravely unwrapped it all the while praying i wouldn't find a feather. I swear to you if i found one single feather i would have been out! Yep check me out, done, no Thanksgiving for anyone . Thankfully there were none. I really ought to write to Foster Farms and thank them. Because i would have been scarred for life. I attempted to remove the giblets and instead found the neck. Hmm.. why don't they just toss the whole head in there? Beak and all.. i mean really.. Gross! I started freaking out and called steve for moral support. He held the cavity open while reached my plastic bag covered hand in there and pulled it out. He told me to just pretend i was picking up dog poop. uhhh...thanks honey. (lol surprisingly that is less gross to me!) I also then found the giblet bag and dumped it in a pot to make the gravy. I know thats gross and against everything i believe in. But I really wanted my gravy to be a success, i was desperate. It turned out really excellent . (Thank you wondra flour!). So I wrestled the turkey around (i refuse to call it 'the bird'. Thats disgusting, when i eat a burger i don't call it 'the cow'. ) and rinsed the thing in and out, i filled it with celery and carrots and onions. I wanted fresh herbs but not bad enough to go to the store and get trampled by every other overwhelmed housewife who forgot the butter, eggs, pumpkin, mini marshmallows, etc. Then I massaged melted butter into the skin, that was akward! I felt like I was trying to get the thing to relax. Off to the oven it went. I ran around doing the sweet potatoes. Then the chocolate ganache cake (not as great as it sounds, i only give it a 2 out of five probably) (maybe a 3). I took a shower in the mean time, and cut apples for pie. Steve was my excellent helper and arranged the crust and rolled it out. My apple pie was pretty darn good. It came off the NYS Apple website. I love NY. ANyhow, I am all ready, minus the hair. My hair was a big lion-y mane puffy mess. I looked like i stuck my finger in a socket. Blake was decked in his corduroys and waffle shirt. So was Steve. They matched pretty well and both looked great. The house looked perfect and smelled wonderful, and I looked like Cruella Devil! I was putting the touches on the pie, when i heard the doorbell ring. NOOOOooo. I was so not ready. Really i was wanting to paint my toes .. do my hair, maybe even get wild with my eyeshadow. I ran back to the bathroom, threw on lipgloss, threw my hair in a ponytail. And had to spend my first Thanksgiving as a hostess looking like something off a Sesame Street Monster Special. This morning I lamented in the shower "Lord when, WHEN will I have time to have a beautiful house, and a beautiful table, AND a beautiful me!"? I realized, it will be when my little man is bigger. Big enough to watch tv, or to play outside alone, or to be locked up in his room thinking im so lame. And I though to myself, I will take a million years of lion mane hair and just be grateful that the reason i can never catch up is a 20lb chubby man with a smile that melts me to pieces! How easy it is to lose perspective, but what a wonderful day it was! Despite the frizz... oh! and did i mention my roots? I need to call the hairdresser......

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience. You are going to be the Oak Harbor Martha Stewart before you know it! I love the colorful way you described everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison, I love this post! I can definitely relate! I didn't host this Thanksgiving,but I have before and had a similar experience!! My favorite line was when you said that someday, Blake would be locked in his room thinking you are so lame! That is so funny!

    ReplyDelete