9/27/10

Playground games- all grown up

Today was just a crazy day for people encounters. I have one more to add before I lose the laptop for the night! Blake and I went to the playground next to our house where we encountered some preteen girls, I overheard their laughing and cussing, and "SHHHH don't swear in front of little kids". I just smiled at them, and thanked God I am not a preteen anymore, I overheard they were texting and calling boys. Pretty soon it became obvious that they were being propositioned by an older boy, to send inappropriate pictures. These girls were in SIXTH and EIGHTH grade. They giggled and clearly enjoyed the attention via text, although one could tell they were looking at each other for cues as to how to respond. I felt Beth Moore come over me in an instant. I tried to ignore. I tried to pretend I didn't know what they were doing. But i couldn't help it. Luckily Blake marched over to them, so I said "you girls aren't sending dirty pictures to guys are you?". They quickly said "no no no, but this guy wants us to". I told them "don't do it!!" I didn't know how to convey that they were beautiful, innocent, and worth so much more. So I sputtered, But i did manage to say that they were beautiful and they clearly already had the interest of young boys, there was no need to take it further. I implored them to have more self respect. We got to talking and they talked about how they hated this town. One girl told me she has moved 12 times, from foster mom, to real mom, to navy dad. Another said that she can't even remember how many times she has moved. As they ran off to another playground (probably to escape me!) , I smiled big and said "Remember girls, make good choices!".... they promised they would. Lord, help me if I ever have a daughter to instill a sense of worth in her so great that she will never doubt her value for a moment.

1 comment:

  1. This is so awesome. God gave you a diving appointment to be at that playground at that precise time. You'll never know what impact you have on those girls. Your words may not ring back to them until several years (and possibly, several boys) from now. But you allowed the Spirit to speak through you and plant truth, hope and love into those girls.

    God bless you! Way to have a Beth Moore moment!

    ReplyDelete