9/27/10

My Post Office Angel.... and whoaa!

Today is the first time in awhile when I have walked in the door just bursting with excitement, and I had to blog it down :). First off- if you know me AT ALL, you know I have been struggling with Joy lately. (Not my best friend Joy :), just the concept). Today I had to go to the post office, and while there I had to get an envelope and try to address it, all while containing a squirmy toddler. I hate going there, and its NEVER been a pleasant experience. Well today Blake sat still in my arms. I heard a giggle and I turned around and a sweet older man was making faces at him and playing peek a boo. He continued to entertain Blake the entire time we were in line, and there was no struggle. As It neared my turn he said "I want to thank you for doing the toughest job in the world, being a mommy" ... I smiled and said thank you, figuring he was just being nice. Then he continued "And, I also want to thank you for being such a motherly, nurturing wife. You know.." At that , I started to really tune in. This sweet man, didn't know what I had been dealing with lately, he didn't know that I am trying to be the best mom, and wife and daughter and friend all while wanting to pull my hair out. I was so touched. On the way out I got to hold the door for him, and he said "You have a nice day now", he said each word slowly, I could hear the sincerity dripping off each word. "God, ... Bless you!". It was then that it hit me. I had just seen the face of God. Whether you believe in angels or not, .. there is no denying that God had some hand in that! Imagine, at the Oak Harbor Post Office, one of my most dreaded places!!
Next is very humbling. AS we transition into the civilian world we have imposed a very strict budget on ourselves. No more starbucks, or mcdonalds, and eating out is very rare. As we keep getting hit with unexpected expenses it has become clear that money does NOT grow on trees. When it came to tithe "joyfully" at church yesterday, Steve asked if I had any cash, I knew he had a $20 in his wallet, so I reminded him of it, and told him to put it in. I didn't want him to put it in . That 20 should have gone STRAIGHT to savings, It was almost painful to watch 20 whole dollars disappear into the burgundy velvet abyss of the offering bag. I wanted to run after them and say.... "OH whoops, your mistake, that $20 is to pay off the vet bill, or the cell phone, or to save and buy christmas presents this year!", Alas, I began to worship, and I just kept hearing in my head "The Lord will provide". I claimed it, and felt much better.
Today I went into the NEX and saw a big sign, fill out a survey for a $5.00 coupon. Thats a free $5.00 , not off a certain amount, just free stuff! Then, Blake was so wild, the lady running the survey offered to chase him around the Halloween displays while I filled it out!! Then I went to Walgreens, to browse, and buy a few things with coupons, trying to learn how to earn register rewards. Basically every week you get a certain amount of register rewards for certain purchases. This week, pampers diapers had a $2.oo reward. After two transactions, the diapers had been on sale, I had a dollar off for each one. I ended up with $4.00 register rewards. Again- thats free money, no minimum purchase. At the very least I can go get eggs, or milk. Or more likely more diapers! As I was driving home it hit me , I "made" $9.00 today, thats almost HALF of what we put in the offering. The LORD does provide, and gosh he is creative about it!!! :)

3 comments:

  1. Allison - You're awesome! Thanks for showing how to be open to God and seeing how He works in mysterious ways for us all the time. You'll get through, you're STRONG with God!! I'm so glad you know where to lean in these 'adventures' you are going through. He will give you the desires of your heart - funny how he reminds us Starbucks might should not be at the top of our list! It has been fun getting to know you a bit through MOPS, make sure you find something like it when you move!!
    Love,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison, this is an amazing story of faith!! Thank you so very much for sharing it! It really brought a tear to my eye and a smile to my face :)

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you ladies! I really appreciate that :)

    ReplyDelete