9/25/10

A little Perspective

It is truly amazing what a difference a day makes. Yesterday, I spent the day lamenting my problems, and wondering how such things could happen. Reading yesterday's post makes me want to slap myself silly. Today Steve and I went to a memorial service for a dear lady who befriended me when I moved to Whidbey Island. I was new here, and had no car and no friends, (I know, you know the sob story), anyhow, Mary Ellen was friends with a family friend back in NY. She met my mom on a trip home, long story short- she got word that I was new here. She promptly mailed me a letter and asked to get together. I figured I had nothing to lose, so we did. I didn't know what to say, I was a homebody who ended up with friends by default, I never really "made new friends". Mary Ellen would come and chat, tell me great stories. She worked with unwed mothers and their babies, she survived a terribly abusive marriage, and finally found the love of her life. As Steve and I sat in the back of the tiny catholic church, I got a glimpse of her husband. I had never met him, but I saw the pain in his eyes, ... and I knew. I choked up at the sight of him, and as the eulogy was delivered i had to choke back tears over and over.. until I couldn't anymore. They recounted stories of how she fought her way into the hospital room and demanded a bed for herself so she could spend the night with her husband after open heart surgery. He laughed as he told us how she went to the bathroom, came back in her nightie and curlers- and hopped into her bed. The last month of her life she was in a care facility, where he requested a bed next to hers, so he could hold her hand every night.
To have such a love, is such a gift. I am so blessed for a husband that I love dearly, and I made sure he knew it when we left that church. Seeing the mourners, the emptiness in her husband's eyes made me SO GRATEFUL for all that I have. I don't care about money, or stains, or dog intestines. My loved ones are safe, and sound, and for that I thank God.
1 Thess. 4:3
But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope.

The priest read this, and I wondered, what about those who have no hope? Those who don't know Christ. Were there people in that church that really believed this life is all we have? This is it? Nothing after. I am sad for them, because there is more. Christ has SO much more for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment