5/26/10

self disclosure



I am taking an interpersonal communications class and learning a lot about why we self disclose. For me, I think I just like to be up front with people. Here I am! Also, I think it helps us connect as humans. I know a lot of people are closed books, but I just don't like to roll that way. Besides my mouth is too big, as Steve says "Did you let the cat out of the bag"? LOL I have a habit of bursting surprises. Now, one example I recently encountered was in public speaking today. I complimented a girl on her speech and she said 'thanks, i have bad panic attacks and I just wrecked my moms car, so i was so nervous'. That was a LOT of info, instantaneously, I said "I have panic attacks too" and another girl added "I do too!!!" Now that Is a LOT of self disclosure, but in that split second, we suddenly had a support group-in that class , of people who understood our struggles. Oh and FYI, freaking out, getting upset, or being nervous is not a panic attack. so before all you drama queens go pop a xanax, take a step back. Anyhow, it is just nice to connect with humans. I think this 'so long insecurity' Bible study is awesome as well. I have to say, if you are a woman, you NEED to read this book. It is by Beth Moore, and it is fabulous. It is bringing out all sorts of insecurity in me, and i love every second of it. I love knowing how i can own these things, and beat the poop out of them. Spiritual warfare is so real, and i am ready to take it on, because knowledge is power. Now that I KNOW things .,... i can fix em! For instance, I didn't put make up on before bible study last week because i was too rushed. I worried about it, but then thought- "ok i am secure enough to go out without makeup. I may not be a barbie doll, but i am no freddy kreuger either!"
We learned about false positives.
"I would just be more secure if I had more money..."
"If I just got rid of these wrinkles by my lips,"...
"If my husband got a promotion..."
"If I was thinner..."
Whats your false positive? Beth Moore says fixing only one of these areas, is like sticking your finger in a dam, ...it will hold for a minute, but pretty soon all of your poopy issues are back on you. Ok she didn't say poopy. I added that for emphasis. When you are worldly you say %&$! , when you are mommy you say poopy, and when you are a christian you say "praise Jesus".
So Praise Jesus for my insecurities because at least they keep me humble. well sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment