5/27/10

Freecycle, stop messin with me!

So today I signed on to check my email (who I am kidding , i never even sign out), and saw a great freecycle post. Some lady was cleaning out her craft room. Vintage fabric, other fabric, yarn, misc. Great! I call the number, and i was actually the first to respond. I drove to her house, a cute neighborhood I hadn't been in before. I was greeted by three beautiful big barking dogs, all aussie/shepherd mixes. Her and her husband were just getting home from yoga, with their homemade yoga mat bags slung over their shoulders. He looked like a hippy from the past, and they were very nice. I walked inside, and saw a giant pile of junk, and thought, oh well I am sure thats not all for me. (Mind you the ad said "must take all"). Before I could think too much, I started to wonder why they were being so nice and inviting me in. They started telling me stories and told me to 'come on in!'. Then I started thinking about that craigslist killer guy. And then I started thinking what if they put up that craft ad just to lure me here. So i started mentally plotting my escape, and meanwhile, she directed me to my 'pile'. So i start gathering things, old mens shirts, and packing peanuts to name a few. I haven't done crafts with packing peanuts since third grade. But whatever, who I am i to judge. Besides this is WA, we go green here. So we get outside and in the fresh air I realize this house reeked like cat pee. Horribly. These people were really nice but oh jeepers! I have a friend with 10 cats and her house smells great- i have no idea how many cats these people had. I only saw 2, but yikes. So then i realize that all the stuff smells like cat pee too. Great, now i have packing peanuts and old mens shirts in my trunk that smell like cat pee. As i drove away, I said a quick prayer thanking God those people didn't entice me with their crafts and then rob me or worse. (hah, what would they rob, my public speaking textbook??) anyhow, i am done freecycling for the time being. now i have to get rid of all this stuff!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Gross! As your friend with 10 cats, I know that's the worst smell in the entire world! (and thanks for saying my house smells good, because I'm still super paranoid about it!) If you decide to keep any of the stuff, like the fabric, shirts and yarn, I can give you quick tips on how to effectively remove the smell and making them clean (actually clean, not just smelling clean) again. As for the stuff that can't be thrown into a washing machine, its definitely probably the best idea to just trash it :-). But in all seriousness, the other stuff you can get clean without ever smelling the cat pee again, so if you want tips let me know!

    ReplyDelete