5/2/10

Good Grief!

My weekend has been so insane (at times) that I feel like I owe it to the world to share my grief. And nuts has it been. Steve's grandparents came to visit us from California for the first time. We were so excited to see them, and have them meet Blake. It all started with a 2 1/2 hour drive to Seattle to pick them up, where I realized that I had to go to the bathroom. No problem, right? I have a GPS, I can't get too lost. Well what I didn't anticipate was how to do the aforementioned while controlling a wild almost-but not quite yet - walker. I thought that I would just stroll in, and maybe have him stand, and be done. Well, no he wanted to get down and crawl to the garbage can which was overflowing with all manner of toxic substance. ( I knew I should have went to Nordstroms!) Anyhow, I went about my usual routine of papering the seat-because Lord knows what devilish germs were living on it. Every girl knows, always paper the seat. Unless you can do that crazy squatting thing, which always leaves me fearful of peeing on myself. So I papered one side, then the other, and blake removed it. And so this went on for three times, until I finally papered, and while he was distracted by the garbage-i made my move. At this point he decides to throw a tantrum, because I won't let him crawl away into the abyss of transient traveler germs. So, I did what any desperate mother would do, I held him out with two hands, went to the bathroom in record time, and tried to high tail it out of there. This was all well except that the toilet kept flushing on me , over and over, and it was like some sort of terrible contaminated sprinkler system. Lets just say-thats the last time I get a coffee before a uber long drive. We made it out, and to the airport.
We found Grandpa John and Grammy, and made it home safely. They kept asking "Are you sure there is a Whidbey Island", because we just drove, and drove and droooooooooove.
Then yesterday we went to Port Townsend, WA which is a 40 minute Ferry ride away. We went to visit Steve's cousin Philip and his family. They gave us a spectacular tour, and an amazing dinner, complete with beautiful artichokes! Ahhh I love artichokes. Steve says that eating artichokes makes him feel like he is eating a wild animal. THe good wife I am- I helped him conquer it! We had a wonderful visit with them, and some family friends, and then we had to rush out to the ferry. I started questioning whether I had remembered the right time. When we pulled in, I saw the ferry, and breathed a sigh of relief. We pulled up to pay, and a very gruff man who looked like santa claus after about 344 bad days stated "NO BOAT" and slammed the window shut. We all said "NO BOAT?" . I thought it was a sick joke. A VERY sick joke. Steve made him open the window and he said "Boat cancelled due to weather, next boat is at 6:45 am" ...this might not sound like a big deal. Well, remember we live on an island, and that boat, was our only chance at getting home in reasonable time. Lets just say, it took two ferries, and FOUR hours to get home. Luckily grandpa kept us laughing, by falling asleep and then waking up and saying silly things, and then falling back to sleep. We made the Kingston/Edmonds Ferry by 20 minutes, and we caught the Mukilteo Ferry by TWO minutes!! Thank God, otherwise we would have had to wait an HOUR for the next ferry. It was a very very wild drive. Talk about cutting it close. We all stumbled into the house at 12:15, exactly four hours after we departed the Port Townsend Ferry terminal. And why am I up at this hour? My little alarm clock went off at 7:45. All I can say- Thank God he slept in!

2 comments:

  1. oh when i say he was distracted by the garbage, I just mean he was looking at it-not playing in it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love trying to go potty with a tot. i always just tell myself whatever they might touch is only building up their immune system...although i start the whole experience by saying, "dont touch anything. not even the walls."

    ReplyDelete