9/23/09

Breast Fest '09

Oh Lordy! Where do I even begin. Well... today I decided to take Blake to story time at the library. We ran into a new MOPS friend, and I was delighted. One Mom said "I really come more for the social interaction for myself than my daughter....". A woman after my own heart. Don't tell anyone that my main motivation is not the awesome songs and the three second story. The mere exchange of words other than "ahhhh..blaaaaa...mmmm..." is enough to just keep my mind going all day. So, we started out and Blake got a little fussy, then he started pulling angrily on my shirt...uh oh..plan b. I pull out the pacifier, and he promptly falls asleep. Great so here I sit in a circle of moms and babies, all AWAKE and I am stuck singing "When cow's get up in the morning, they always say good day. Mooo mooo mooo moo that is what they say, they say". I don't even have a baby to sing to. He is out! cold. Soooo.. around 10:30 he decides to wake up. I figure we might as well stay for 10:30 storytime and thus increase our odds of making new friends. (oh and stimulate Blake's brain as well). Round two went somewhat better. We were busy singing the grand ol' duke of York, when I suddenly saw a breast. Yes, a breast. A lady was breastfeeding with no cover. Phew, I looked away. I can do this . "i can so do this" i told myself. I am a hip and progressive mama. (oh who am i kidding, i was horrified, im more straight laced than Billy Graham) (well, usually..) Anyways, I looked again to make sure i wasn't going nuts and there she is, singing along with her breast out. Totally weird. So we keep singing, Blake liked to add his own sad and angry opera.. he wanted to go play. I look around again to see if my baby is the only one that hates these songs, and now lady #2 has pulled her shirt up and her year old is nursing. Let me mention these kids were OVER a year old, not like it was some milk emergency. I mean, what happened to bringing goldfish on your outings? Now its like "baby.. check. diapers...check...braless...check..boobs..check. " Ok lets go! Umm,.. get some cheerios please!! So then I turn to the lady next to me to say goodbye..her son was 9 months, the closest baby to Blake's age. And what is she doing??? NURSING! with a blanket? No, of course not. This is breastfest 2009, and I didn't even realize I was invited. So we left in a hurry, and I made a point of saying ..."WANT TO GO HOME FOR LUNCH???" very loudly to Blake. Although I am sure no one could hear me over the sound of all the babies slurping.
Can't wait til next week.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow this made me laugh. On a side note, the little boy that I babysit for every week goes to story time at the library every Wednesday, so I bet he was there with you! If you go again, and see William (the baby) and Gina (the mother) that's who I work for! :)

    ReplyDelete